- Computational Social Science
- Critical Data Studies
- Data Science
- Economics and Information
- Education Technology
- Ethics, Law and Policy
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Human-Robot Interaction
- Incentives and Computation
- Infrastructure Studies
- Interface Design and Ubiquitous Computing
- Natural Language Processing
- Network Science
- Social Computing and Computer-supported Cooperative Work
- Technology and Equity
Information Science is one of the fastest growing and cutting edge majors offered at Cornell University. The Information Science Student Association (ISSA) is here to improve the student experience and spread the word about the major. The ISSA plans networking events, social events, corporate information sessions and tech talks with faculty.
Cornell's Information Science program offers an interdisciplinary major that examines information systems in their social and human contexts. Computer Science is an integral part of the program, but the emphasis is on systems and their use, rather than on the technologies that underlie them.
Who We Are
The goals of the ISSA are:
- To connect Information Science (IS) and Information Science, Systems, and Technology (ISST) students with one another and with faculty through special events and activities.
- To serve as a bridge between current students and alumni.
- To provide students with information regarding career opportunities, internships, graduate schools, professional associations, and research opportunities in the field of information science and technology through web based and print resources and information sessions.
- To inform others, both inside and outside of Cornell, of the IS and ISST majors.
President – Lucy Wang
Academic Chairs - Samuel Meisner
Academic Chairs - Elana Pocress
Corporate Chairs - Raymond Yuan Li
Corporate Chairs - Danielle Levanti
Communication Chair - Sally Han
Social Media & Graphics Chair - Leadora Kyin
Social Chairs -Daisy Tseng
Social Chairs - Sarah Hu
The Information Science Student Association is open to all students (majors, minor or undeclared) interested in Information Science or Information Science, Systems and Technology.
Benefits - Why join the ISSA?
Social: Through the ISSA, you will meet and build relationships with your classmates in IS and ISST and keep up with the latest news in the Information Science department. The ISSA allows you to connect with others in your major and find group members, start-up partners, mentors/mentees, and friends.
Academic: The ISSA connects connects underclassmen with upperclassmen who can share a wealth of information about courses, structuring schedules, and choosing tracks.
Career: The ISSA hosts information sessions with employers looking to fill full-time and internship positions. Additionally, ISSA sends out a resumé book of members to recruiters at all the major tech companies.
Research & Leadership: The ISSA connects students with professors regarding research opportunities, and notifies members about leadership opportunities and on-campus jobs suited for IS and ISST students.
Join our listserv to learn about ISSA meetings, job opportunities, and more. To join, send an email to “firstname.lastname@example.org” with the subject “join”.
Join our Facebook group to communicate with other ISSA members and stay in the loop.
If you have questions about the ISSA or are interested in joining, please visit the Information Science undergraduate office in 110H Gates Hall or email your questions to email@example.com, or visit ISSA's new website at issa.infosci.cornell.edu.
What We Do
Recent ISSA Events include:
- Research Panel
- Alumni Panel
- Resumé Critique Session
- Picnic in the Engineering Quad
- Ice Cream Social
- Luncheon at Taverna Banfi
- Corporate Recruitment Sessions
Student Mentor Program
The Information Science Student Association (ISSA) organizes a student mentor program. Our goal is to pair all students who are new to IS/ISST with upperclassmen. Student mentors are able to provide advice in terms of course enrollment, finding internships and all things Information Science! To learn more, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The ISSA is a leading organization on campus for Information Science and Information Science Systems & Technology graduate and undergraduate students. Our students have both broad training and specializations in areas such as Information Systems, Human-Computer Interaction, and Social Studies of Computing.
The ISSA hosts employer events throughout the academic year.
- We take care of organizing and advertising your event to our large student base.
- We're open to hosting information sessions, tech talks, portfolio critiques, informal lunches, or any other type of event you'd like us to organize.
- All types of events can be requested via the Info Session Request Form.
- Please contact us at email@example.com with any questions.
Each year, the ISSA sends out all members’ resumés to our industry contacts. If you are in industry and would like to receive our resumé book each year, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Your name
- Email address
One of the ISSA officers will mail you a copy of the resumé book.