This concentration provides students with an in-depth understanding of the behavioral and social aspects of interacting with and through information technology. Courses cover various aspects of how technology affects and is being affected by human behavior and social interactions.
The core course related to this concentration is INFO 2450: Communication and Technology.
Some faculty members whose research is related to this concentration include: Cristian Danescu-Niculescu-Mizil; Nicola Dell; Susan Fussell; Malte Jung; Lillian Lee; Gilly Leshed; Mor Naaman, and Tapan Parikh.
- Professional Careers in UX research and design
- Academic careers related to human-computer interaction and social aspects of technology.
- Related job titles: interaction designer, user experience designer, user experience architect, usability analyst, user research associate
BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE COURSES
Please reference the Cornell Class Roster for details on the courses below.
A. Understanding Social Behavior (choose one)
- INFO 3400: Personal Relationships and Technology
- INFO 3460: Crowds, Communities, and Technology
- INFO 4430: Teams and Technology
- INFO 4450: Computer-Mediated Communication
- INFO 4500: Language and Technology
- INFO 4800: Behavioral Science Interventions
- INFO 4940: Special Topics - Computing and Global Development
- COMM 4380: Communication in Virtual Worlds
- PSYCH 3800: Social Cognition
B. Social Data Analytics (choose one)
- INFO 3300: Data-Driven Web Applications
- INFO 4100: Learning Analytics
- INFO 4300: Language and Information
- COMM 4940: The Design & Governance of Field Experiments
- CS 4740: Natural Language Processing
- CS 4780: Machine Learning for Intelligent Systems
C. Behavior in Sociological, Network, and Design Contexts (choose one)
*Please note that you will choose one course from one of the Context sections: either Sociological, Network or Design. NOT one from each.
C1. Behavior in Sociological Context:
- INFO 3200: New Media and Society
- INFO 3561: Computing Cultures
- INFO 4650: Mobile Communication in Public Life
- COMM 4410: Communicating Self in Social Media
- STS 3440: The Data Science & Society Lab
C2: Behavior in Network Context:
- INFO 4360: Communication Networks and Social Capital
- SOC 3350: Covert Social Networks
- SOC 4390: Social Dynamics and Computational Methods
C3: Behavior in Design Context:
- INFO 3450: Human-Computer Interaction Design
- INFO 4240: Designing Technology for Social Impact
- INFO 4400: Advanced Human-Computer Interaction Design