- Computational Social Science
- Critical Data Studies
- Data Science
- Economics and Information
- Education Technology
- Ethics, Law and Policy
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Human-Robot Interaction
- Incentives and Computation
- Infrastructure Studies
- Interface Design and Ubiquitous Computing
- Natural Language Processing
- Network Science
- Social Computing and Computer-supported Cooperative Work
- Technology and Equity
Travel Policy: These guidelines are in effect May 15, 2019.
Principle: We want to create an environment where members of the IS department are encouraged to take advantage of the academic opportunities at our two locations in Ithaca and at Cornell Tech. To encourage such interactions, academic-focused travel by Ph.D. students and faculty between the two campuses may be financially supported whenever there is a clear business purpose.
Funding will be available for:
- Ph.D. student travels from one campus to another to network with prospective faculty advisors or committee members.
- Ph.D. student with an advisor based at the other campus traveling to meet with their advisor/group.
- Ph.D. student is taking one of the 5 IS core courses and would like to attend a lecture at the other campus in person.
- Ph.D. student is traveling where the primary purpose is in service to the field or an academic event, ie. Ph.D visit day.
The funding available to support Ph.D. travel is limited. Reimbursement is for transportation and lodging only and is capped at $500 per trip; the limit for any one traveler is 2 trips per academic year. Subject to these limits, all travel in the above categories will be supported as long as funding is available. If funds for a particular semester run low, support for PhD travel will be prioritized with preference to travelers who have not already been supported in that semester.
Funding is not intended for:
- Moving expenses
- Non Cornell hosted conference travel
Travel planning process
To ensure smooth and convenient travel, and to ensure funds are still available, arrangements/approval for trips should be made in advance. Reimbursements for trips not approved in advance may be denied if funding has run low.
Process to Apply for IS Travel Funding:
- Regardless of which campus you are leaving from, please notify Barbara Woske (firstname.lastname@example.org) in advance (two weeks prior to trip) about your planned trip. All arrangements will be coordinated out of Ithaca.
- If traveling from Ithaca to Cornell Tech, secure a Faculty Host. Their signature is required on the support application form.
- Use Adobe to complete the IS PhD Travel Support Application Form or print, collect signatures, scan and send via email to Barbara. NOTE: An email confirmation from the DGS, David Mimno, is acceptable in lieu of his signature. Please be sure Barbara Woske and Terry Horgan (email@example.com) are copied on this email.
- Barbara/Terry Horgan will let you know about any limitations on reimbursement for your trip.
- Use the checklist (below) to arrange bus, lodging, and card access.
- After travel is complete (within 30 days), please submit all travel and lodging receipts to Terry Horgan. Reimbursements beyond 30 days after the trip may be denied if funding has run low in the meantime.
- Reserve your transportation
- Arrange your lodging
- Arrange card access for Cornell Tech — arrange through your faculty host so that you can come and go freely with your Cornell ID
- For students traveling to Ithaca; please check in with Barbara, 110 G Gates Hall or send her an email shortly after your arrival. If you have any issues with your ID card accessing Gates, let Barbara and Terry know immediately. For students traveling to Tech be sure to check in with your faculty host as soon as possible.
- File for reimbursement within 30 days of trip by emailing your receipts to Terry Horgan.
- Please note, food is paid on a per-diem basis, therefore no food receipts are needed only transportation and lodging receipts are needed.
Resources Traveling to Cornell Ithaca
Resources Traveling to Cornell Tech
- C2C Campus Bus
- The Tram
- NYC Hotels